If you’ve read our Bill Self high low motion offense complete guide and want to implement this offense, here are 8 drills you can use at your next practice.
These drills breaks down actions in this offensive system into smaller segments you can use to get your players accustomed to it. Once they get an idea, you can start running 3 on 3, 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 with rules that force them to use these actions.
The drills simulates:
- Getting the ball in the high and low post
- Off ball screen actions
- Options for the guards to penetrate.
Here are the drills:
- High low entry
- 1-4 backdoor cut
- 1-4 fade entry
- 3-5 dump entry
- Low post entry
- 3 on 3 – Single down
- Penetrate drill
- Drag dribble switch drill
High low entry
This is the bread and butter of the high low offense: the 2 forwards go high and low.
- 1 forward cuts to the top to receive pass from wing guard
- Forward can pass to low foward
- Or forward can shoot from the top.
This drills simulates a scenario where the defense denies the wing entry pass. The forwards come up to get the ball and then the wing has to back door cut to get open.
1-4 fade entry
This drill simulates the high post entry where the high post forward screens for the point guard for a 3 point shot.
This simulates a dribble entry where 3 will V-cut and then dump it to 5.
- Point guard dribbles towards 3. Simulate 3 getting denied by defense.
- 3 cuts to basket.
- 5 sets a down screen for 3.
- 1 passes to 3 or 5. If pass to 3, 3 dumps to 5.
Low post entry
This drill simulates the staggered screen on the strong side wing entry.
3 on 3 – Single down
This 3 on 3 drill simulates the single down screen set by the forward. The guards have to read the defense in 3 scenarios:
- If defense chases and behind, curl.
- If defense denies ball, V cut.
- If defense goes under, go over and foward slips.
- 3 on 3. 1 forward and 2 guards.
- Forward must pass ball and then set a screen for guard on the other side.
- Play 3 on 3. Forwards can choose which side to pass.
You don’t always have to go through your big men. You can set picks in the high post for the guards to penetrate.
Drag dribble switch drill
A variation of the penetrate drill, if the penetration is not there then the guard can use a drag dribble to create space and dump the ball down inside. A drag dribble is simply just moving backwards instead of forcing your way into the lane.
Latest posts by Coach Keith (see all)
- Quick start guide to ALL our content - June 6, 2020
- Wade and Duncan bank shot drills +20% more accurate - October 1, 2017
- Steph Curry and Klay Thompson shooting game - September 17, 2017